Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Late Update

It is six in the evening, and I am just now waking up to write an entry about the night before. I went to sleep about 10:45 this morning, after spending a majority of the night at Epoch Coffee, trying to some form of conscious and awake. But let me Tarantino this one and go back a little bit.

Yesterday morning, I was walking down Guadalupe and trying to find something that would make my day and my blog more interesting. First of all, I stopped in a Texadelphia because of how hungry I was, and if you've never had their cheesesteak, I would suggest you closing my blog and immediately leaving for the nearest location (preferably going to the original Texadelphia like I did) and I sat and finished a few more chapters of Watchmen while I enjoyed my cheesesteak. Not too interesting so far, but damn delicious.

Afterwards, I went strolling again and walked past the Church of Scientology (maybe I'll go get my thetan levels tested before I leave and write an entry about it), before coming up on a small bookstore called Brave New Books. I am not one for conspiracy theories personally, but considering that the day before hadn't had much conversation at all, I thought somewhere like this would give me a few people talk to; and that was right. I was in the store for the longest time talking to the two owners and various customers that came in and I certainly heard my share of theories. However, the owners are charismatic and very friendly and for all the things we disagreed on, we agreed on almost as many.

Eventually, a man that looked a little like a short Shaggy from Scooby-Doo walked in and I began talking to him for a while. The store was closing shortly afterwards and so all of us parted ways but we managed to cross paths again. Considering that marijuana decriminalization was a topic of choice that day, I asked him if he knew where to find any and he told me he had some if I wanted to smoke it with him.

Yes. Yes, I did.

Throughout the night and into the early morning, we sat and had a beer and about three bowls and talked about our experiences and our worldview. He is a traveler, much like myself, and many of our motives and ideals matched. We had such a great time talking and sharing the company of each other that I hardly noticed how early it was. I had lost my chance to stay with my CouchSurfing host for the night.

I tried to argue with myself about getting a hotel again, and I lost the argument to good logic so I kept walking the streets. I met a seedy guy on the bus circling town, who had apparently just paid a poor homeless drug-addicted girl to do a few favors to him. God, I wanted to hit him. He disgusted me, the way he talked about another human being that happened to be down on her luck at the moment and the way he abused her.

I eventually had to get off so I wouldn't have to hear him talk about it any longer, so I ended up hitching to get a ride to Epoch Coffee since I knew they were open all night. It only took me about forty-five seconds to hitch a ride to here, from an older bearded man wearing a "Keep Austin Weird" tee. I love the people here.

I ended up conversing with a new friend in Epoch until the morning came around, and I got a ride from his friend back to the host's apartment. I crashed as soon as I got here, and I'm waking up now to maybe do it or something similar all over again.

Regards from Kodiak.

No comments:

Post a Comment